The #1 asset you need to build out on your affiliate marketing journey is: TRUST. As we all know business is based on trust. Now I’m sure many of you can relate to the story when I had to call CPA Networks to get approved so I can run their offers and when I did the application they were already very skeptical, first because I was a young girl, second because I was calling from a foreign country speaking broken English and third because I knew what I was talking about, which was not very common. Not many people believed I was real, therefore there wasn’t much trust towards me so I knew I had to show myself, that’s why I went to attend my very first trade show (Affiliate Summit – at the age of 17, I had to find a way to get into Affiliate Summit and I’m not gonna lie, it was pretty damn tricky on my end, as they ID you and you must be 21 but I found a way to talk myself out of getting IDed and I had the chance to walk around the trade show.)
I kind of felt lonely as I was surrounded by thousands of strangers who are all there for the very same reason – to network, to grow their business, to find opportunities to make more money, to cut better deals.
So how do you break out from the loneliness and start networking?
- Prepare for the show. Make a list of what networks to meet face-to-face, if you admire a super-affiliate look at their agenda on their blog and make sure to attend all the events they’re planning on.
- Attend all the after parties – bigger CPA Networks or Ad Networks like to host parties where you have open bar with unlimited FREE drinks (great opportunity to loosen up a bit) and start mingling. (Don’t forget your ID)
- Dress well, look healthy – Everyone likes to talk to beautiful people. Groom, shave, wear ironed clothes – you don’t need to overdress but business casual is what I recommend. Get a nice dress shirt and a pair of dress shoes that you can wear with your favorite pair of jeans. Be comfortable but don’t look underdressed. (***Bonus tip: Bow ties are super attractive)
- Make sure you have a Skype username so when you want to keep in touch with someone you can add them right away on your phone. Extra tip: When you add someone on Skype write a short sentence why you’re adding him/her so when you go home you’ll remember and can follow-up easily.
- Keep cash on you – you never know what event may come up where you need to buy a drink or get a sandwich after a long after party night or just to pay for taxi to get home.
- Take a pocket battery charger with you so you can be online 24/7. – We’re in the 21st century, people connect via Facebook, Skype or Whatsapp, make sure you’re not missing out on anything because of your phones weak battery life.
- Be prepared on what you will tell people about yourself. Never ever talk down on yourself, be honest but don’t underestimate your capabilities – when you’re talking to people who are making a lot more than you just keep in mind that they had to start somewhere too!
- Be energetic – Every time I go to a meetup or trade show I get filled up with energy and motivation and the reason is because I surround myself with people who are very energetic and are on a high motivation level. If you send good vibes you will attract similar people close to your level of energy.
AdTech and Affiliate Summit are the 2 most worthy affiliate exhibitions I recommend to attend. Las Vegas, New York, San Fransisco are all fabulous cities and will leave a great memory in you – guaranteed!